“Short Home Study” Information Guidelines
All new host families must present Frontier Horizon with a “Short Visit Report” or with a completed and valid Home Study. Families can contact a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) or an Adoption agency to do their report. In the “Short Visit Report,” we ask LCSWs to meet with the host parents and their children as well as review the Host Family’s home. The LCSWs then present a report and recommendation to Frontier Horizon detailing their experience. Enclosed is a letter to the LCSW detailing the report. Please contact Frontier Horizon if you have further questions about this process. NOTE: Those hosting with Colombia have additional specific requirements regarding the home study. For those hosting with our Colombian program please download the Colombia specific short study guidelines below.
Guidelines for the Short Visit Report: The LCSW should address the following issues and questions during the Short Visit Report:
- Please interview all family members regarding their interests and hobbies as individuals and as a family. Please discuss the type of profession and the individual work schedules with the adults.
- Please ask Potential Host Families how they heard about the Frontier Horizon Hosting Program, and ask them why they are interested in the program.
- Please ask: What do you, as a family, expect of the Travel Program? What are your expectations of your hosted child? Why are you interested in hosting a Colombian, Ukrainian or Nicaraguan child?
- Please ask if the family is aware of some of the behaviors that can be associated with children who have lived in orphanages (abuse, neglect, abandonment, bed-wetting, etc.)
- Please ask: Have you participated in any other adoption or foster programs? Have you read any materials about adoption or foster care children? Please explain.
- Please ask: What are your experiences with children? Are there children currently living in the household? Do you have adopted children? How do current children feel about the Frontier Horizon Hosting Program?
- Please discuss methods of discipline used in the home, and please explain that corporal punishment is not permitted with their hosted child.
- Please ask: What types of support systems does the family have? (extended family members, friends, church groups, etc.)
- In terms of the physical home . . . Where will the hosted child/children sleep? Will hosted children share a bathroom with other family members? Are dangerous objects and medications safely stored out of reach? Are there pets, and are there rules regarding the pets? Is the home sanitary and appropriately cleaned? Are there any safety concerns that need to be addressed?
- Are there any unresolved loss issues that may complicate a family hosting a child? (i.e.: recent death of a child, etc.)
- Are there any “red flags” or concerns that you have about the family’s participation as host parents for the Frontier Horizon Hosting Program? Are there any issues of which our staff should be aware?
Note: Frontier Horizon recommends that each question is answered during the interview and then discussed in the LCSW’s write-up/report. Please include your recommendation and professional opinion, as based on your interview with the Host Family. Please print the Short Visit Report on letterhead and mail it directly to: Frontier Horizon, P.O. Box 4429, Virginia Beach, Virginia 23454.