**Please Note: All Frontier Horizon families new to the program must complete a “Short Visit Report” in addition to their National Criminal Background Check and National Sex Offender Check. All Frontier Horizon host families who have not submitted a previously completed full home study or Short Visit Report will be required to do the “Short Visit Report” **
Required Paperwork For Host Families
- Frontier Horizon Hosting Program Application: The Frontier Horizon Hosting Program Application can be found and completed on the “Resources” page of the Frontier Horizon website. This digital document will auto populate into the Frontier Horizon system upon submission. At the end of the application form you will be promoted to pay the $150 application fee via our secure digital payment gateway. Please allocate this payment to “Pay Hosting Fees” in the dropdown menu provided in the payment portal.
- National Criminal Background Check: If you will be doing a Short Visit Report or Home Study, you can ask your social worker to do a National Criminal Background Check, or you can contact a national agency to do your report. We suggest the FBI check, which covers both the national background check and sex offender check. available at the following link: http://www.fbi.gov/about- us/cjis/background-checks . Both the National Criminal Background and Sex Offender Background checks must be provided for all persons in your household ages 18 and older. All National Criminal Background Checks must be mailed directly from the Background Check Agency or Social Worker to Frontier Horizon. Frontier Horizon does not accept Background Checks via email or fax or from the host family.
- National Sex Offender Check: When you apply for your National Criminal Background Check, please also apply for a National Sex Offender Check. All persons in your household ages 18 and older must present Frontier Horizon with both checks. Note that the FBI check covers both.
- Host Family Agreement: The Frontier Horizon Host Family Agreement is included in the Hosting Program application. Please be sure to fill in the necessary information, sign and returned to Frontier Horizon with the Hosting Program Application.
- Background History Affidavit: The Background History Affidavit is included in the Hosting Program Handbook. Please fill in the necessary information, sign and submit to Frontier Horizon.
- Note: The following requirements are only for first-time Frontier Horizon host families:
- A completed and unexpired Full Home Study OR “Short Visit Report.” Details about the “Short Visit Report” are included below and can be found on the “Resources” page of the Frontier Horizon website.
- A copy of the Licensed Clinical Social Worker’s License or Agency’s License: This is paramount and must be presented with the Home Study or “Short Visit ”
- The Frontier Horizon Authorization for Release and Exchange of Information Form: Please be certain that both parties sign this form releasing Host Family information to Frontier Horizon.
All new host families must present Frontier Horizon with a “Short Visit Report” or with a completed and valid Home Study. These studies are executed by localized social service / child welfare agencies. Families can contact a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) or an Adoption agency to do their report. In the “Short Visit Report,” we ask LCSWs to meet with the host parents (and their children if applicable) and review the Host Family’s home. The LCSW then presents a report and recommendation to Frontier Horizon detailing their experience. Please contact Frontier Horizon if you have further questions about this process.
Guidelines for the Short Visit Report: The LCSW should address the following issues and questions during the Short Visit Report:
- Please interview all family members regarding their interests and hobbies as individuals and any interests or activities shared as a family. Please discuss the type of profession and the individual work schedules with the adults.
- Please ask Potential Host Families how they heard about the Frontier Horizon Hosting Program and ask them why they are interested in the program.
- Please ask: What do you, as a family, expect of the Hosting Program? What are your expectations concerning your hosted child? Why are you interested in hosting an international orphan?
- Please ask if the family is aware of some of the behaviors associated with children who have lived in orphanages (abuse, neglect, abandonment, bed-wetting, etc). It is very important for families to understand potential problems and to be prepared.
- Please ask: Have you participated in any other adoption or foster programs? Have you read any materials about adoption or foster care children? Please explain.
- Please ask: What are your experiences with children? Are there children currently living in the household? Do you have adopted children? How do the children presently living in your home feel about the Frontier Horizon Hosting Program?
- Please discuss methods of discipline used in the home, and please explain that corporal punishment is strictly prohibited with hosted children.
- Please discuss the family’s support system (extended family members, friends, church groups, etc).
- Please discuss the layout of the physical home. Where will the hosted child[ren] sleep? Will the hosted child[ren] share a bathroom with other family members? Are dangerous objects and medications safely stored out of reach? Are there pets, and are there rules regarding the pets? Is the home sanitary and appropriately cleaned? Are there any safety concerns that need to be addressed?
- Are there any unresolved loss issues that may complicate a family hosting a child? (i.e.: recent death of a child, etc )
- Are there any “red flags” or concerns that you have about the family’s participation as a host parents for the Frontier Horizon Hosting Program? Are there any issues of which our staff should be aware?
Note: Frontier Horizon requests that each question is answered during the interview with the prospective host parents. The answers provided are to be noted, evaluated and reported to Frontier Horizon. In addition the LCSW is to provide his/her professional assessment and recommendation regarding the suitability of the perspective hosts parents for the Frontier Horizon international child hosting program.
All completed and signed documents can be sent to the following address.
P.O. Box 4429
Virginia Beach, Virginia 23454